Attention badly prepared, some vegetables are toxic!

We are more likely to turn to vegetables that are easy to prepare. But as with cooking meat, important precautions are necessary before consuming certain fruits and vegetables, otherwise they can make us sick.

Some fruits and vegetables naturally contain toxins to defend against insects and micro-organisms that attack them, this effective protection for them can become a real danger for us if we do not take certain precautions.

Red beans to soak for 5 hours

This is the case with dried red beans, for example, which contain phytohaemagglutinins, a toxin that can create very severe nausea, vomiting and intense diarrhea in humans. To avoid this risk, it is absolutely necessary to soak them for at least 5 hours, discard the water, and then cook them for a good half hour. Canned kidney beans are no problem, since they are already cooked.

Beetroot: always cook before grating

The desire for varied salads as a starter mixed with a desire to return to the true taste of food and even raw food can turn the salad into a fiasco. For example, the ingestion of raw grated beets leads to intoxication and intense vomiting which occur within minutes of ingestion. If you want to eat grated beets, you still have to cook them.

Potatoes and tomato: never with green traces

One of the most consumed foods, but which we must also be wary of, is theā€¦ green potato. When the potato is exposed to light, it creates chlorophyll, which gives the color green. Chlorophyll is not to be feared, but light will also cause the potato to secrete glycoalkaloids, including solanine and chaconine. These molecules are toxins that cooking does not destroy. It is therefore absolutely necessary to peel the potato in order to completely remove all traces of green.

You should also be wary of green tomatoes that contain tomatines. This toxin will create effects similar to those caused by the toxins found in potatoes that have started to turn green. Ripening will cause the tomatine to disappear; so it is important to wait until they are very red.

Pine nuts and dysgeusia

Pine nuts have been eaten in Europe for thousands of years, they are concentrated in essential fatty acids, to which it owes its very mild flavor. High in calories (686 kcal/100 g), it is rich in phosphorus and iron. Perfect on paper. However, since the worldwide increase in demand for pine nuts, everything has changed. They now come mainly from China with varying quality. In some people, ingestion can cause a bitter, metallic taste in the mouth, a phenomenon called dysgeusia. The precise cause of this effect remains unknown.

VScarrots and parsnips: not together in the fridge

If carrots and parsnips are stored in the fridge next to fruits that give off ethylene, such as bananas, this ethylene gas will cause the secretion of isocoumarin in the carrot, then of xanthotoxin in the parsnip. These two molecules will create bitterness in the mouth.

Lhas rhubarb, never with the leaves

It’s not rhubarb to be wary of, just its leaves! We do not eat them, they contain oxalates and anthraquinones. These molecules can cause severe effects such as nausea, vomiting, cramps and seizures. By the way, one can boil the leaves, collect the liquid and spray it on your garden flowers as a natural insecticide.

Read also:

The benefits of antioxidant nutrition

Leave a Comment